When it comes to repairs, you like to take matters into your own hands. You’d rather replace a spark plug instead of taking your car to the mechanic. You’d rather fix your dishwasher than buy a new one. While DIY repairs are usually great for saving money, homeowners in St. Louis should avoid the dangerous ones. While homeowners can complete certain simple tasks, they should leave most HVAC maintenance to professionals.
What HVAC Maintenance You Should Leave to Pros
Your HVAC system needs maintenance done right. Professional maintenance improves the system’s energy efficiency, guaranteeing that the unit will last longer and that you’ll receive lower utility bills. That kind of maintenance requires training and practice; it’s not something you can learn on YouTube. Here are some of the main tasks you should leave to professional HVAC service technicians:
- Calibrate your thermostat. Your service technician should calibrate your thermostat to improve the system’s energy efficiency. They can also recommend the most effective thermostat settings.
- Tighten and repair electrical connections. It should go without saying, but without the experience a pro has, you should never conduct electrical repairs. You’ll risk harming yourself and damaging the system.
- Inspect the condensate drain. Blockages in the drain can cause water damage to the system, and your professional service technician can clean that drain.
- Clean and replace system components. HVAC system efficiency is fragile, so don’t make repairs when there’s a risk of you causing more damage to the system.
What HVAC Maintenance You Can Complete
While you should leave most HVAC maintenance to professionals, you can complete some tasks on your own:
- Change air filters monthly.
- Clean around the HVAC system.
- Seal drafts around your home.
Your HVAC system is central to the comfort and health of your home. You should trust its care only to the most capable of hands. To schedule professional HVAC maintenance, call Averill Heating & Air Conditioning at (314) 427-3825.
Image provided by Shutterstock